29.6.10

Dirt Dress = New Find

[Raymond (drums), Jose (bass, rhythm guitar), and Noah (vox, lead guitar) energetically coax the audience to dance while they wear aprons?]

I got my first taste of this promising band when I decided to venture out of Lame Town Suburbia, CA. Occupants: Me and my friend Sandra. We decided to hit up The Smell after I had looked at this past Friday's line up. I browsed the various myspaces of the bands that were to play instead of practicing guitar and learning to read music. Why do musicians make it look so simple to just jam out? Anyway, after finding a sweet parking spot near the almost hidden shady alley we walked in hoping we had not missed the few bands I was excited to see, which we had not. To my slight disappointment most of the bands were self-fulfilling prophecies in the sense that they sounded a lot better in their recorded material as opposed to a live setting. I found this odd in this group of bands because many had implied that they adhered to the DIY garage school of theology, making The Smell the perfect place to showcase their music. *Buzzer* Wrong answer. Do not pass go, do not collect $200. ¡A los leones! (See the sabado gigante chacal here if you feel so inclined to.)

When the boys from Dirt Dress began to play in the back stage with blasting fans I found the light at the end of the tunnel and a new appreciation for central air conditioning. They asked the audience to break the fourth wall and enter their sphere of music so as to savor every single lyric. I did not mind one bit getting all close and personal with these guys. Have you seen how cute they are? If not, look above! Although initially the band might sound hard-hitting on the hearing palate, their tunes become catchy and interestingly ambiguous. Their semi-abstract lyrics make you want to be a part of Noah's disguised discourse. Jose's skills on the bass were completely memorizing as he and Noah musically danced around a lingering duet to end a fantastic show at the perfect venue for their music. Drawing influences from lo-fi rock techniques and creative inspiration from bands such as The Velvet Underground and the Pixies, Dirt Dress is able to deliver a point of view that has been duplicated and overdone in a successfully refreshing way. I hope theses guys release more music and add to their repertoire apart from the cassette EP, Perdido En La Suciedad, released by Papermade in 2009. Who still buys cassette tapes? Is this the new hipster fad making its rounds in L.A.?

Cassette tape or not, I am wholeheartedly excited to see what new material this band has to bring in its upcoming shows. I will most definitely be up close and personal with the guys at their next show at the Press in Claremont where I do believe this establishment has some type of ventilation system. Score!

Dirt Dress Awesomeness 


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Greetings, from me to you via cyberspace! My name is Karen and this blog was started in conjunction with my Digital Art 141 class. My creative background spans from my fascination with sustainability issues, urban design, architecture, and interactive art. I guess that I am no different than many college students in that I am not sure where my interior architecture major and women's, gender, and sexuality studies minor will lead me in terms of a career path. All that I know is that I am interested in exploring urban design work, advocacy and nonprofit work within underrepresented communities, and possibly starting my own green business. I hope to have a better understanding on design within different facets, including a digital medium because of this class. Hope you enjoy my future posts regarding art and other nonsense running through my head.